Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Traffic, Trading Cards, and The Great Exchange

It's been one of those weeks that has you thinking about so much, but it seems impossible to articulate any words to explain whatever it is that you are feeling.

I'm sitting here staring at a blank page trying to figure out what it is that God is speaking in to my heart that He wants me to blog on, but it's like thought gridlock in my brain. All these ideas and thoughts are all trying to merge and move forward, but they're all jammed up and stuck. 
My brain feels like the Phoenix 101 at 5:45 pm.

I guess I could say that I am immeasurably grateful for God's guidance and empowerment in those weird gray situations where "good and bad" are more like "eh and meh". 

All of us, as followers of Christ, have impact on the body of Christ. Everything we do and say affects eternity. 

Talk about pressure, right?

Not really.

Once we realize that God is really in control of everything, the pressure to succeed and be in control of the situation slips away like a bad dream. We don't have to worry about how much we are accepted and how many likes our Facebooks have or how many people read our blogs. We have been accepted by Jesus Christ in our filthiness and unworthiness purely out of love. 

Our desperation for control and acceptance is obliterated when we embrace the love and lordship of our creator.

Because of Christ, when God looks at us, He only sees the righteousness of Christ. He is fully satisfied in you.

When I was younger, I collected sports cards. 

You know, baseball cards, basketball cards, football cards, curling cards.

Just kidding.
They don't have curling cards.
... right?

Anywho!

Like any aspiring collector, I wanted to find out if I had any cards worth serious coin in my possession.

I have a rookie year Michael Jordan, a Shaq O'Neil card when he was with the Magics, a Dante Culpepper card, Allen Iverson, and a few other cards that I saw as pretty awesome. 

Every once in a while, I would take them to a sports store and see how I could get for them. For some reason, I never got a consistent price. Different places would offer different deals and trades.

I would ask, "What is this one worth?" and slide a card across the counter. He would look at it, turn it over in his hands, look at the corners, look at me, and then give me a sad number.

"I'll pass."

I still have all of those cards. They're sitting in a box in Arizona somewhere. Eventually I learned something.
Michael Jordan is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
If someone sees it, loves it, and wants it, whatever they insist on paying for it, that determines its worth.
Of course if we're receiving different offers, we want to finally settle on the highest priced offer.

So what are you worth?

What is the highest payment someone has offered for you?

I am worth one Jesus.

God sent Jesus in exchange for me. Jesus was the payment that was redeemed for my life.

But not just for me! Over and over, the bible reminds us that Jesus' sacrifice was not for all the Christians, not for all the good people, not for everyone who deserves it, but for every person ever born ever in the history of ever.

Ever.

God loves so intensely and radically, that He exchanged the life of perfect, sinless Christ for me.

I have value. I have been freed from my bondage of sin and released from my eternal death sentence by the death and resurrection of Jesus.

You are more valuable and beautiful than anything created in this universe, and God puts value and purpose in you.

The love of God is undeserved, unattainable, immeasurable, illogical, unfair, unimaginable, unlimited, unending, and yours.

We see God's love when we breathe, when we wake up, when we enjoy food, when we go grocery shopping, when we experience gravity, when we experience turmoil and trials, when we suffer, when we love. Everything we have is a gift, an expression of the love and grace of God.

God has called us to a higher existence of true free will and discipline, holiness and completeness, Godly love and purpose.

In all the chaos and messiness of life, we can rest in the love, acceptance, and satisfaction of the Most High God who is perfect in love, grace, wrath, judgement, peace, power, and holiness.

What else do you need?




Nate T B